Re: [linux-audio-dev] Patents on some Linux OS code

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Patents on some Linux OS code
From: Pedro Lozano (pl2_AT_ono.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 21:53:42 EET

I didnt say they were right, I said that they think they are right.

They think that if there is no "producer" backing the product then they can
attack the user as the guilty of the patent infraction, and I think that we
will see more threats and trials because of that. This is something that is
happening, not only my thoughs.

Maybe they will lost all the cases, but if a company see the posibility of
been sued by MS only because of using Linux then they will think about it
twice.

An example
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/facts/indemnification/policy.mspx
of what they think.This is something Linux cannot offer unless you buy it
from Red Hat, Suse, IBM or companies that offer a similar service.

The ugliest thing is that MS is probably the company that more software
ideas has copied from others (anyone remember Stac or Netscape?) and now the
are using patents as a weapon against the open software that is getting some
of their market share.

Pedro.