Re: [linux-audio-dev] nice [was: jack, low latency and IO]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] nice [was: jack, low latency and IO]
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 14:50:58 EET

On ons, 2004-12-08 at 10:16 -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Lee Revell <rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 20:34 +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> > > Jack has been distributed with Mandrake 10.1 without the realtime
> > > module. So it only runs as root by default here, and then still being
> > > severely disturbed by the underlying journaling filesystem.
> >
> > We are trying to get the realtime LSM in the kernel so this won't be an
> > issue in the future. Once it's in the kernel, we only have to get the
> > distros to configure it correctly :-P and JACK should "just work" out of
> > the box as a normal user.
>
> Appropriately configured, of course. ;-)

Hi!

I have bitched the Mandrake-team for shipping a version/config of jack
that cannot work. It appears like it might be the jack-team that is (at
least partially) to blame ... (?)

I said that they (Mandrake) set up jack to have its sockets on /tmp,
which cannot work when /tmp is part of journaling file-system.

After that, I have had a look at various options that are available in a
clickedeclick style after install. One of them is to empty /tmp on
reboot.

At first I thought that this option would do

# rm /tmp/*

.. or some such. Apparently not because when i do df:

[jens_AT_elephant jens]$ df
/dev/hda5 3,4G 2,2G 1,1G 69% /
/dev/hda7 4,3G 2,0G 2,3G 47% /home
none 126M 0 126M 0% /mnt/ramfs
/dev/hda1 1,6G 1,4G 207M 87% /mnt/windows
none 126M 68K 126M 1% /tmp

... , it should be clear that /tmp is now similar to /mnt/ramfs (which
is the one I created from the guidelines in the jack source-
distribution.)

The jackd included with mdk10.1 still sounds "funny". How is that?

I have no clue, do not know the answer, but if I do:

[jens_AT_elephant jens]$ /usr/bin/jackd --version
jackd version 0.98.1
default tmp directory: /tmp

... and:

[jens_AT_elephant jens]$ /usr/local/bin/jackd --version
jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /mnt/ramfs protocol 13

... , then I get the impression that something very positive happened
between jackd_0.98.1 and jackd_0.99.0

Comments?

--

( ) c[] mvh // Jens M Andreasen