[linux-audio-dev] Re: rosegarden, alsa_seq and usx2y rawusb

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: rosegarden, alsa_seq and usx2y rawusb
From: Rui Nuno Capela (rncbc_AT_rncbc.org)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 00:44:43 EET

Stefan,

>> Try using -p128 -n2, and tell us whether you can't
>> notice any aural difference, let alone if you can
>> ignore a XRUN storm =:)
>
> Ok, if it can get 2x128 that's quite tempting: I'd
> always assumed the crackling was a USB1 thing... I'd
> be grateful if you could give me a little help with it
> though please. I'm running PlanetCCRMA Fedora Core 1
> at the moment. From your page I gather that I need
> jack-0.99.35.3usx2y.tar.gz. Am I right in thinking
> that the 'linux' section is kernel patches? Is there
> no way I can use this with the CCRMA 2.4.26-1 kernel
> (with low latency, givecaps, preempt etc)?

You can possibly try building from current alsa-kernel/alsa-driver cvs,
where the new alsa module code lives.

I guess you'll have to install the Planet's kernel-source package and then
follow the alsa-driver installation instructions. Please do us a favor and
ask for some advice on the planetccrma list, would you?

For building from jack-0.99.35.3usx2y.tar.gz, you may go by building your
own RPMs, how's that? However, you'll have to change the package name from
"jack" into "jack-audio-connection-kit", if you want to avoid trouble with
your planetccrma installation.

These are summary instructions, from the command line (do all as root):

# tar -zxf jack-0.99.35.3usx2y.tar.gz
# cd jack-0.99.35.3usx2y

Edit configure.ac, and change the following line

  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(jack,${JACK_VERSION}.3usx2y)

  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(jack-audio-connection-kit,${JACK_VERSION}.3usx2y)

then,

# aclocal && autoheader && automake && autoconf
# ./configure --enable-capabilities && make && make dist
# cp jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.35.3usx2y.tar.gz \
  /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
# rpmbuild -bb jack.spec

Hopefully, you'll find your freshly made RPMs, under the directory
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386, ready for installation (rpm -Uvh ...):

  jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.35.3usx2y-1.i386.rpm
  jack-audio-connection-kit-devel-0.99.35.3usx2y-1.i386.rpm
  jack-audio-connection-kit-example-clients-0.99.35.3usx2y-1.i386.rpm

Please note that the packages will replace the current installed ones,
AFAICT.

>> ... the new hwdep pcm (aka "rawusb") interface
>> available on the
>> sand-usb-usx2y alsa kernel module.
>
> Sorry I don't understand this at all. I can't find
> anything about sand-usb-usx2y, but do you mean if I
> installed latest alsa I could use sand-usb-usx2y in
> place of snd-usb-audio in modules.conf?

Oops, that was my typo, It's the same old "snd-usb-usx2y" I was referring
to, sorry.

Bye.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela