Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violatepatents]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violatepatents]
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Wed Dec 15 2004 - 23:06:34 EET

Hallo,
Andreas Kuckartz hat gesagt: // Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > its not that clear. according to the timeline provided at Ircam,
> > "Patcher", the predecessor of Max, was started in 1986. i don't know
> > if patcher had a visual dataflow model or not. Max itself didn't exist
> > till 1990.
>
> Miller Puckette (the creator of Patcher and PD) probably could answer that
> question and probably also knows something about prior art. Relevant articles
> can almost certainly be found in Computer Music Journal
> (http://mitpress2.mit.edu/e-journals/Computer-Music-Journal/) and the
> Prodeedings of the ICMC (http://www.computermusic.org/).

Quoting him:

  Another aspect of Max is its graphical user interface (GUI). The Max
  GUI has many antecedents. In 1980, while studying under Barry
  Vercoe, I saw the Oedit system by Richard Steiger and Roger Hale.
  This system, apparently never described in a published paper,
  allowed users to design Music 11 orchestras using a visual patch
  language. Many other graphical patch languages both for music and
  for other applications had appeared by 1987 when I started writing
  the Max patching GUI. Although several specific elements might
  have been novel at least in the computer music context the overall
  idea of a graphical patch language was not.

See "Max at Seventeen", CMJ, online at
http://www.cs.aue.auc.dk/~sts/class/26.4puckette.pdf

Ciao