Re: [linux-audio-dev] dssi plugins / UIs - compiling without ui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] dssi plugins / UIs - compiling without ui
From: Sean Bolton (musound_AT_jps.net)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 02:11:22 EET

On Dec 17, 2004, at 2:59 PM, Julien Claassen wrote:
> I've got a question: Could you give an option to the configure
> scripts (for
> hexter and the like) to NOT compile the GUIs? I've got a problem with
> the
> guis, for I don't have a lot of the graphic devel stuff installed.
> This would
> be very kind!

Text-based UIs are possible for DSSI plugins, but nobody had every
written
one (as far as I know). So your request motivated me to actually
attempt one.
I've got a _very_ rough and minimal start to a readline/ncurses based
UI for
hexter. You can try it out at:

http://home.jps.net/~musound/hexter-0.5.7-julien.tar.gz

Start it up with jack-dssi-host (as is suggested in the README), and
type
'help' at the prompt for options. Control-T functions as the 'Play
Test Note'
button.

> As to text-based UIs, I've looked into the simple_sampler UI, but
> don't
> understand it yet (very much)... :-) I've to continue looking into it,
> I'm not
> a very good programmer. But I'll do it!

Part of the reason (aside from lack of time) I didn't implement more in
the
text UI, is I'm hoping it might provide a good jumping-off point for
your
programming efforts! The structure of the GTK+ and text UIs is
parallel,
so you'll have the GTK+ code to guide you.

Let me know (off-list) if you have trouble getting this working.

-Sean