Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violate patents]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Fwd: Graphical dataflow programs violate patents]
From: Jens M Andreasen (jens.andreasen_AT_chello.se)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 01:15:16 EET

On ons, 2004-12-22 at 20:33 +0200, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The already mentioned page
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/simulink/rn/simulink14_6-1.html
>
> says that Mathworks disabled the realtime control from Simulink.
> That is, it looks like one cannot build a realtime synth
> with Simulink. Could anyone confirm how the controls worked
> earlier and now?

I read it as:

- You cannot have realtime-control from a GUI, but it is OK to alter the
value and let the change take effect when the window (with the
controller) is closed.

I haven't used the product (!), but it is my understanding that
Mathworks used to change its internals when you hit 'enter'. Now it
happens when you close the window.

> Has anyone found prior art for music software? I'm sure J.O. Smith's
> writing in CMJ does not help "as is". And even then, the Labview/Reaktor
> style front panel building prior art must be found. Some other
> GUI system won't help.

Music software is not affected at all by the patent. A very central part
of the patent is the purpose of the program. Their business idea, so to
say.

> While I don't know exact details of the patent, I think I have
> found a way to circumvent the patent. I tried to contact Mathworks
> but they don't have a contact method for non-customers. They would
> have expertise and interest to examine what I have found.

I have one too :)

Use a cheepish midi controller with sliders and buttons, and you are
done with the claims regarding GUI. As an added bonus, users will not
get 'mouse-arm' from extended use.

Another weak point in the patent is the detail where they mention
windows (as in X or some such.) There is a competing product doing
everything on a single screen. They even disable the taskbar to make it
very clear that they differ from the patent on this point.

--

( ) c[] // Jens M Andreasen