[linux-audio-dev] Re: Need tips to get OSS midi configured

From: <airplays55@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 01:48:21 EET

Thanks for the responses - the reason I didn't give
more details is mainly because I don't know where to
begin troubleshooting.

Firstly let me explain why I need this to work on
knoppix. I boot knoppix from a customized image on a
compact flash card, so I've been able to add and
customize a lot of software, and it runs all sorts of
things for me like a webserver, proxy, browser, etc
etc. I have a dedicated computer at my house that is
always running knoppix (without harddrive) which is
always on since there is no harddrive to eventually
crash. For my serious audio work I have another
computer that runs midi software I've been using since
the late 80's (Dr. T's) in an Atari ST emulator, and
this system does everything I need for now.

Although I've been dabbling with Agnula and ALSA (with
no luck yet), I still need to get the knoppix system
working with rosegarden2 so that we will have a midi
scratchpad to save song ideas with, to be later
imported into a different system with rosegarden4 or
cakewalk sonar or whatever.

OK here are some details on my system. The computer
is a gateway P2/266, and I have three soundcards (and
a usb interface) that I've tried booting with, but
knoppix doesn't autoconfigure the midi ports on any of
them, although knoppix is able to identify and
configure the audio portion of the soundcards. My
hunch is that I should be able to manually get the
midi portion to be recognized if I knew what to do.

The soundcards I've tried are 1) a digital research
ESS1869 ISA card, 2) an AVANCE LOGIC als-100 ISA card,
3) yamaha YMF-724 PCI card, and 4) a midiman midisport
1x1 USB interface.

When I run rosegarden2 (that comes included in
knoppix), the midi setup has /dev/null as the midi
device. If I change it to /dev/midi, or
/dev/sequencer, it says "device invalid or busy"

when I run sndconfig with the yamaha pci card
installed, it says "the yamaha corp ymf-724 (pci) is
not currently supported" although I still hear audio
through the wav output.

when I run sndconfig with the ESS1869 ISA card
installed, it says "no PnP or PCI soundcards were
found - choose from list" then I choose "ESS1868
audiodrive" from the list, then I get a segmentation
fault.

I checked my /etc/modules.conf - I don't see an entry
"snd-seq-oss", but the top of the file says run
"update-modules" instead of editing modules.conf
directly.

So thats where I am now; I don't know what modules I
need loaded (snd-seq-oss?) and I don't know where to
find or how to add modules (yet).

What can I try next? Any tips will be much appreciated!