Re: [linux-audio-dev] Disappointing LA community ?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 13:25:40 EET

Hallo,
Erik de Castro Lopo hat gesagt: // Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:38:32 -0000 (UCT)
> "Dubphil" <dubphil@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Recently I have succeeded in convicing a Manufacturer (Wave Idea) to
> > consider the importance of giving Linux support to his products. I was
> > really convince myself that this initiative will be encouraged by the
> > Linux Audio community. That's why I have posted an help request to make
> > Wave Idea products fully Linux compliant.
>
> The problem is that the device you wrote about was a MIDI interface and
> the LA community seems much more interested in digital audio than it is
> in MIDI. I'm sure if your device was a high end, reasonably priced
> multi-channel digital audio interface you would have been overwhelmed
> with responses.

I don't think, that this is the reason. There are several other
reasons, the most important one is: The announcement asking for help
was just some days ago, and generally no new project starts in just a
couple of days, especially not at that time of the year.

Getting developers to join a project is one of the hardest things to
do in the Free Software world and it takes a lot of time. Just think
about Ardour: For a long time this was mainly the project of Paul
alone, IIRC. He pushed things forward and over the *years* has found a
good amount of co-developers. And Ardour is of interest to many more
people than a configuration tool for a piece of hardware, that not
many people own or will buy, because - let's face it - it's expensive.

I'm currently struggling with getting support for a strange kind of
webcam into Pd, and as I'm currently the only one using such a beast,
I'm on my own for now. That's the way it is, patience is a virtue,
time is limited etc. etc. I don't blame anyone, and in my experience
there will always come support for something sooner or later.

Ciao