Re: [linux-audio-dev] Noise reduction with FFT

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-lad@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 10:33:09 EET

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 01:42:36 -0600
Spencer Russell <Spencer.Russell@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I've got this really noisy audio file I'm trying to clean up, and
> I was thinking, it would be really cool if I could run a clip of
> the file that was just the noise(it's a recording of a discussion
> for a TV broadcast, so when no one's talking, it should be
> silent) and have the program output an average frequency content,
> in some sort of format that another program could take it as
> input and create a filter that would filter out those
> frequencies. It seems like brutefir would be able to do the
> latter part, but is there a way to automatically generate the
> filter definition from the frequency content of a file? Is this a
> feasable method of noise reduction? If it seems like it could
> work, but there isn't a program to do it, I would be interested
> in writing it, if anyone has any input.

If you are trying to clean up a file, a doubt the system you
describe above would produce results anywhere near as good as
Gnome Wave Cleaner.

    http://gwc.sourceforge.net/

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
C++ is a siren song. It *looks* like a HLL in which you ought to be
able to write an application, but it really isn't."
-- Alain Picard (comp.lang.lisp)