Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] KX Audio capabilities for Linux EMU10k1 [was Plans/Roadmaps for 2005?]

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 15:38:06 EET

On Saturday 08 January 2005 00:21, Lee Revell wrote:

> I actually got a lot more responses than I was expecting. I have been
> posting about this to the alsa lists for months, and no one but me and
> Peter Zubaj seemed to care. I think they didn't take me seriously at
> first, even when I posted the kX stuff, Linux users are conditioned to
> think these cards are junk.

I suspect that you are largely correct on this. Speaking personally, a few
years ago I put several CL cards (mostly the older AWE stuff) through a
series of formal audio performance measurements with a SoundTech analyzer,
and discovered that CL's marketing claims were, to put it mildly,
exaggerated. That, combined with the recurring ALSA and JACK issues that
folks have reported with the emu10k1 stuff over the years has indeed led me
to class the whole product line as 'junk'. Perhaps I need to take a new look
at this.

Thank you for all of your work to make these cards usable under Linux.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development |
| | Salem Radio Labs |
| It's kind of fun to do the impossible. |
| -- Walt Disney |