Re: [linux-audio-dev] [semi-OT] EEL 0.1.0

From: Stefan Westerfeld <stefan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 22:47:12 EET

   Hi!

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 09:08:22PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> There! I've decided the new, rewritten EEL scripting engine is about
> ready to start playing around with.

My BEAST Evaluator plugin allows the user to add custom DSP code like
writing

output = sin (input_1 * 7) + 1 + 0.4 * last_input_1;
last_input_1 = input_1;

in a property at the GUI, to allow the user to add its own custom DSP
code. But its really just started, thus I am wondering whether EEL is
intended for this domain (RT audio processing), or whether it will be
too slow. Then I might rather work on an BEAST EEL module.

I know that for RT audio processing, in the end you should compile the
resulting code; the question is that: can EEL be used for rapid
prototyping of DSP algorithms, or is it too slow (or to unreliable when
it comes to the RT aspects: this kind of thing is ultimately run under
as strict conditions as those that apply for the JACK thread) for doing
this.

   Cu... Stefan

--
Stefan Westerfeld, Hamburg/Germany, http://space.twc.de/~stefan