Re: [linux-audio-dev] [semi-OT] EEL 0.1.0

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 05:11:51 EET

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 00:02 +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> >> Ooh, interesting, I've been wanting to write a DSSI plugin like this for
> >> some time. I was going to use compiled C though :)
> >>
> >> - Steve
> >
> > I'm very interested in the idea of being able to code modules in a
> > modular synth live (in realtime) as well.
> >
> > I was considering using ChucK, given that it's specifically designed for
> > RT performance use and can insert/remove/replace pieces of code into the
> > vm while running, but it looks like it would be a significant amount of
> > work to adapt the ChucK engine to be controlled by another app.
>
> Have you looked at SuperCollider3? It is designed for RT, allows for live
> coding in all sorts of ways (JITLib) and can easily be controlled from
> other apps (the client and server side both can send and receive OSC) and
> it has 8 JACK in and out ports by default.

I would rather not have to do things through jack ports, and actually
take the language's VM (or whatever) into the synths' engine. Mostly
because adding and removing jack ports causes clicks, and that's not
acceptable.

I forgot about supercollider, it's a possibility assuming it can
add/remove code on the fly.. I think that's what that JITlib may do?
The popularity of SC is a plus at least.

I guess I'll just have to wade through all the language's engines and
see what will work. :/

-DR-