Re: [linux-audio-dev] [semi-OT] EEL 0.1.0

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 12:43:30 EET

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 05:45:05 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Fast as realistically possible is fast enough for me. :) If
> > performance of a patch with code in it needs improving, one can
> > always go write the LADSPA plugin. At least having a scripting
> > language available means you don't /have/ to write a LADSPA plugin
> > to get something done.
>
> Yeah. Well, to get an idea of what to expect, here's an example:

> IM = 139968;
> IA = 3877;
> IC = 29573;
> LAST = 42;

I understand the motivation for the language, but I do wish you had used
an existing syntax, eg. supercollider is based on smalltalk. Having to
remember Yet Another Function Declaration Syntax is not on the list of
things I want to do.

I regualrly have to work in C, PHP, Perl, JavaScript and sometimes Java
(often in the same project), and I'm sick of arbitrary syntax choices.
My worst example uses Perl to generate PHP, which generates JavaScript
(just dont ask, it was easier that way due to missing libraries in
different langauges).

FWIW, my favourite of these for weakly typed code is JavaScript (aka.
ECMAScript).

- Steve