Re: [linux-audio-dev] Buggy audio debian packages

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 17:37:11 EET

Hallo,
oliver oli hat gesagt: // oliver oli wrote:

> i don't see any need for a special audio distribution based on debian.
> debian itself is fine, the only thing which is missing is a low-latency
> 2.6 kernel package. how many people are using demudi after how many
> years of development? it is a waste of money...

Nobody is actually putting any money into Demudi anymore, the phase of
EU funding is over.

Regarding the usefulness of Demudi: In my opinion you are judging a
bit unfair and - without any offense intended - slightly misinformed.

There is a lot of traffic on agnula-users, so it *is* in fact used.
(As is Planet CCRMA) And Demudi is involved at the forefront of a
Debian project called "Custom Debian Distribution", see
http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/ which is creating something like subsets
of Debian for different user groups to overcome various disadvantages
of the fact, that Debian has become a HUGE distribution with so many
packages to choose from, which many user profiles do not actually
need. This is an important development and Demudi offered a lot of
useful, first-hand insight into the problems and advantages such an
approach has. One problem in Debian for example is the known long
release cycle between "stable" versions, which is just not gonna fly
in the audio world, but which is needed in the server world. "Being on
the edge" and just running "unstable" however is difficult because of
dependency hell, it is not recommended for "newbies" and creates a lot
of work for the packagers.

Bottom line: It's a twofold situation: On one hand Demudi is actually
growing to become part of Debian, on the other it is working on
becoming a new kind of Debian.

Ciao