Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tuning

From: michael tewner <tewner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 18:14:21 EET

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:09:09PM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > Next up... a plugin that plays your instrument for you. Why deal
> > with the tedious hassle of having to tune your instrument or actually
> > learn how to play it?Can't sing... not a problem!I can see Micro$oft
> > coming out with something like that ;-)
> >

> > Sorry, but this goes against the grain for me. If I'm going to suck
> > live I'd damn well better suck digitally so I'll know better than to
> > play live ;-)

I have a friend that has used a plugin like this (on apple digital
performer) to add an interesting effect to his voice (by making it very
exact and singing a bit out of tune). I've also heard it
used as an effect on middle-eastern violins (that are usually played
portomento) by setting the tolerance very high. Perhaps this is one of the
situations that one would otherwise turn to a synthesizer insead of the
real thing when they want this sound.

I think that any program suporting advanced effects should have something
like this in it's toolbox.

-tewner