Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Tuning

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 02:56:38 EET

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:01:31PM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:

> ... I said fractal noise sounds more natural.

In some cases, yes, because it happens to have the right
spectrum, not because it is fractal.

> > - If I gave you two series of samples, one generated with
> > the fractal method, and one generated by sending white
> > Gaussian noise through a suitable filter, you would have
> > no way to tell which is which. And that means there is
> > nothing special about the fractal noise, apart from the
> > fact that is was generated by an interesting algo :-)
>
> I disagree. White noise and pink noise are very different.

Of course they are. Please re-read. You are given 'fractal' noise
and _filtered_ 'normal' noise having the same spectrum. Can you
tell them apart ?

Referring to the web site you mentioned earlier: Brownian
motion corresponds to 'brown' (1 / f^2) noise - a strange
coincidence that the two names match. Another example from
physics is the Poynting vector of an EM wave, which indeed
is pointing in the direction the wave is going :-)

--
FA