Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tuning

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 19:46:54 EET

On Sun, 30 Jan, 2005 at 10:39AM -0600, Jan Depner spake thus:
> On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 06:53, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:

<SNIP!>

> Actually, one of the reasons that I really enjoy this list is that I
> get my eyes opened occasionally. This is a good thing (TM) ;-)
>
> Don't worry about speed with an instrument - it's way overrated.
> Less is definitely more in that department. I didn't start playing
> guitar until I was 20 which I thought was very late. After 30 years I
> think I'm finally beginning to get the hang of it ;-) I wish I
> understood trackers, sequencers, MIDI, soft synths... I was thinking
> the other day that the next big musical genius may well not be able to
> play any instrument - that the music may just be in his/her head.
> Without those kind of tools we would miss out on that. When I was
> really young I was a flute playing jazz snob (if it didn't have a
> million key changes I wasn't impressed).

Maybe you should try cheesetracker. I find trackers to be a very
intuitive interface, but maybe that's because I come from a computer
science background.

> Now I like the Ramones :-)

Hehe. It's funny. My favourites are people like Bread, Simon and
Garfunkel, Sam Cook and for more recent music, Snow Patrol, Portishead
and The Flaming Lips.

The music I make, however, is more like BT, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin,
Boards of Canada or Wagon Christ.

I don't think that there's a difference in the quality of the two
groups, but the latter doesn't require me to actually play an
instrument. At least not in real time - I do tend to record midi
events at half tempo, because I just can't play what I want at the
speed that I want.

> For a while I felt the same way about making music without being able to
> play an instrument. So, sorry for my immediate, knee jerk reaction to
> pitch correctors.

> Jan

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)