Re: [linux-audio-dev] Developing a music editor/sequencer

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 12:21:54 EET

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:30:44AM +0000, vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:

> SuperCollider is pretty much a synthesis engine as far as I know.
> With extensive support for algorithmic compositio of course, but doesn't
> seem to be the "composers workspace" that is the ambition.

It's two things (in separate apps): scsynth, a synthesis / audio
processing engine, and sclang, a high level programming language.

Both talk OSC to the external world and to each other. You can use
scsynth with other languages as well, everything is OSC controlled,
and therefore very flexible.

Recently I needed an Ambisonics mixer with both B-format and stereo
inputs, 3-D panning and rotation etc. Wrote it as a scsynth patch
(a few tens of lines), with a separate GUI controlling it by OSC.

> However have you looked at:
> common music
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/cm/doc/cm.html
> lisp based , text controlled, also with a nice notation package
>
> or
>
> open music
> http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=15
> graphical but also lisp-based. There is a port to linux on sourceforge CVS,
> but I never got the required lisp stuff to work properly, but I didn't really
> try hard.

I think SuperCollider and common music are comparable. Both are fully
open-ended. I'm using SC because that was the first one I got working,
and now I'm hooked...

--
FA