Re: [OT] RFA ... (was [linux-audio-dev] Job openning)

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 21:58:59 EET

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:32:02AM +0100, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 06:17:24PM -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > Attached is a pdf containing the job announcement for Director of
> > Technical Support at Radio Free Asia.
> I still remember the cold war propaganda from Radio Free Europe (a
> CIA front),

I haven't lived long enough or in the right place to know anything about
this from personal experience. I wish I could personally apologize for
and set right any wrongs of the past or present committed by the
government of this country. But, I can't. I wish I could keep it from
doing anything wrong in the future. But, I can't. I'm just one person
who happens to have been born here. For what it's worth, I _am_ sorry,
and I personally try my best to be a good citizen of the world.

To the best of my knowledge RFA is a news organization and not involved
in propaganda. A brief history of the company is available here:
http://www.rfa.org/english/about/history/

While I cannot personally understand any of the languages in which RFA
broadcasts, in my 4+ years here I've never gotten the sense that the
broadcasters are under editorial pressure from outside the company.

> so I'm wondering what's behind this "Radio Free Asia",
> that is not even based in Asia. It presents itself as "private &
> non-profit". Who is funding this outfit ?

RFA is funded by vote of the US congress as stated here:
http://www.rfa.org/english/about/president/

> Could it be the new
> 'Disinformation Agency' that was announced shortly after 9/11 ?

RFA has been on the air since 1996, long before the events of 9/11 in
2001. I went through the metro station at the Pentagon on my way to work
not half an hour before the plane hit there. We could see the smoke from
the roof here. RFA had already been broadcasting for nearly 5 years on
that day.

I sent the job announcement to the list because RFA has been a
supportive environment for working on and using Free Software.
Applications developed in house are released under the GPL on the
technical operations website: http://techweb.rfa.org/. techweb also
hosts a public mirror of the debian archive. I personally have the
privilege of hosting the monthly DC Linux Users Group meetings in RFA's
conference room. I see an opportunity here for future use of numerous
linux audio applications in a working digital audio production facility
that puts out 36+ hours of programming each day. I would be honored and
excited if my new boss were to come from the linux audio community.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Engineer I
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia