[linux-audio-dev] support for non-root realtime scheduling; struggle continues

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 05 2005 - 21:26:40 EET

Hello all,

on lwn.net's latest kernel page, under 'Quotes of the week',
there's the following message from Jack (O'Quin) to linux-kernel:

--cut--
We argued that the owner of a Digital Audio Workstation should be free to
lock up his CPU any time he wants. But, no one would listen. We were told
that we didn't really know what we needed, and were asking the wrong
question. That was very discouraging. It looked like LKML was going to
ignore our needs for yet another year.
--cut--

The whole post is at:
http://lwn.net/Articles/121652/

I hadn't been aware of these latest developments. I then found also
this:

http://lwn.net/Articles/120797/

Really interesting stuff. I just want to say a big thanks to Jack for
pushing the lad requirements forward! As we can all see from the mail
threads, it has been, and still is, quite a struggle. In any case it's
great that this has now got more attention also outside lad/lau and
linux-kernel lists.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!