Re: [linux-audio-dev] mux concept paper

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 17:16:28 EET

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 09:43:16AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> stephane's new OSX implementation (jackdmp) avoids both of these, and
> ends up with an extra process-cycle worth of latency. he does exactly
> what you suggest above. is it avoidable? i don't know. stephane didn't
> seem to think so when we talked about it briefly on IRC. maybe it can
> be.

Strange. The only way you could have an extra cycle of latency is by
explicitly programming for it, either inserting a buffer somewhere,
or by changing the sequence

  backend wakeup -> read inputs - call graph - write outputs

  backend wakeup -> write outputs - read inputs - call graph

which amounts to the same thing. How would this help in allowing
processing to continue during graph changes ?

I'm convinced it should be possible. The price to pay should not
not be increased audio latency, but an asynchronous interface
to the client creation / port creation and connection functions.
In other words, you will have to request something and the result
will be known not when your call returns, but by some asynchronous
event. This makes sense anyway for things that can be modified from
any number of places at the same time.

--
FA