Re: [linux-audio-dev] mux concept paper

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 20:19:16 EET

On Thu, 2005-17-02 at 13:07 +0000, mimo wrote:
> Walco wrote:
> > Hi Mimo,
> >
> >> PS.: the paper is here http://mimo.gn.apc.org/mux/
> >

> > First of all: nice initiative. But...
> >
> > ...why create a new modular audio framework, if you could
> > improve, harden and extend an existing one? Think of all that hairy GUI
> > code that you don't have to write and debug...
>
> Well and yes. I agree and principle and looked at existing ones but
> seriously didnt like them. beast was mentioned, it's gtk and I cant get
> my head around gtk. Also, it's very heavy on the machines I have tried.
> The other thing is, you look at existing code, often undocumented one.
> So you end up spending more time trying to find out what someone else
> was thinking while he did this... and from my experience, often when you
> finish a program, it's best to sit down and rewrite it from scratch.
>
> But I'm open for suggestions, so if anyone knows of an active project
> that I might contribute to let me know

I'm working on a (currently) LADSPA-using modular synth called Om that's
a seperate engine controlled by OSC (like supercollider).

It already does all the process-order-in-the-background stuff you
mentioned (ie there is a distinction between realtime and non-realtime
events and they don't interfere with each other) and allows you to do
everything in realtime. Two clients can even use it at once over the
network and see the changes to the patch mirror on each other's screens.

It's polyphonic, has subpatching, multiple "toplevel" patches (ie
completely dynamic jack port creation), MIDI binding, blah blah etc.
etc.

I don't know if what you're planning on doing is a modular synth or
something different/more, but if it's a modular synth you want to make..
help me, I'm many months ahead of you. :)

The UI is gtk, but there's nothing stopping you from writing your own,
the OSC commands are quite simple.

I'm more than open to ideas that take things beyond "just a modular
synth" (already experimenting with OSC-driven algorithmic stuff) and the
engine is quite simple to extend in any resonable way. Feel free to
drop me a line.

-DR-