Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux DSP Hardware?

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 11:57:21 EET

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 05:00:52PM -0800, jipi wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> currently, all signal processing algos are being done in software for
> Linux Audio.
> are there any hardware accelerated support for audio hardware when doing
> these sort of algos?

None of the linux audio DSP software will run on DSP hardware as far as I
know. Converting the stuff we write to DSP code is a significant effort,
and just not worth it IMHO. Buy a faster CPU :) Given the price perfomance
of modern x86 chips you probably get more bang for your buck that way
anyway.

c.f. http://www.ardour.org/native.html

- Steve