[linux-audio-dev] Any interest in DVD-Audio?

From: Dave Chapman <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 22:21:19 EET

Hi,

Hopefully this is within the scope of this list but following a lot of
recent googling, there doesn't appear to be any interest in
"open-sourcing" anything related to DVD-Audio.

As you may know, commercially authored DVD-Audio disks have three very
unfriendly features - encryption, watermarking and Meridian Lossless
Packing (MLP). I am assuming that these are some of the reasons
developers have not become interested in DVD-Audio.

However, none of those features are compulsory, and if you remove those
obstacles (which I am not interested in overcoming - simply avoiding),
you are left with a standard which allows 18 combinations of samplerate
and sample wordsize for 2-channel stereo audio (including 16-bit/44.1KHz
RedBook, and going all the way up to 24-bit/192KHz), plus a range of
6-channel uncompressed surround sound formats.

My aim is to produce a set of GPL'd tools to both author, "un-author",
and play such unencrypted, uncompressed disks, and am curious to know if
any other developers have an interest in this area or not.

To this end, I've started the "dvd-audio" project at sourceforge -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-audio/ I have not yet populated the
site with HTML content or any of the software I'm in the process of
developing, but there is a "dvd-audio-devel" mailing list which anyone
is welcome to subscribe to.

I should reiterate that I'm not interested in investigating features
such as encryption or MLP - I simply wish to be able to author my own
unencrypted and uncompressed DVD-Audio disks using my own music, which I
can then play back either on my hardware DVD-Audio player or on my PC,
all using free software

Regards,

Dave.