Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSC, mDNS and LASH: a good combo?

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 22:48:13 EET

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:15:46 +0000, Martin Habets wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:35:34PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > There is a proposed specification for discovery of OSC services that was
> > presented at hte OSC conference, I intend to support it in liblo at some
> > point in the future.
>
> Do you have a link to this spec? Was it the one based on zeroconf?

Yes, and yes. http://www.opensoundcontrol.org/media/Rendezvous-OSC.pdf
spec is too strong a word. I think theres a working group looking at
it, but the binding of an OSC service into zeroconf is pretty aparent in
any case.

> > > To me this seems like a lot of overhead for a relatively small gain.
> > > OTOH it seems like a very flexible and future-proof solution.
> >
> > IIUC Gnome allready requires libhowl and mDNSResponder, so its not as
> > burdonsome as it could be.
>
> Not sure what you mean by the gnome connection. I would recommend against
> running gnome (or KDE) when doing audio work, but that's just my angle on
> it.

Some of the current freedesktop stuff requires an MDNS server, it was just
an example that its becming widly used on linux. FC3 runs an MDNS demon at
boot time for example.

Using an MDNS server means that you dont have to worry about implicitly or
explicitly starting an OSC discovery demon, or anything like that.

- Steve