Re: [linux-audio-dev] Developing and audio driver

From: fred doh <fred569us@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 22:21:17 EET

--- james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar, 2005 at 07:42PM -0500, Dave
> Robillard spake thus:
> > On Wed, 2005-09-03 at 23:13 -0800, fred doh wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to develop an audio driver (OSS on kernel
> 2.4)
> > > for a new hardware. I didn't find any resource
> > > explaining how to do that, besides looking at
> the
> > > sources of other drivers. Could someone direct
> me to
> > > an appropriate resource?

> No offence meant, but from your questions, you have
> less of a clue
> than I do, and I wouldn't fancy writing a driver
> from scratch.
>
> Are you sure you're not biting off a little too much
> here?
>
> On the othe hand, even if you give up half way
> through, you'll
> probably have learned a hell of a lot.
>
> But, as Dave says below, why? OSS? 2.4? Are there
> good reasons for
> this?
> > Why on earth would you write an OSS driver for 2.4
> at this point in
> > time?

Writing for OSS is a constraint, not a choice. I'm not
starting from scratch there is some older driver that
I have to port, and it's been written for OSS. Later
if there is time for it I will make the ALSA
conversion.

I've read docs about doing kernel drivers so my
questions are not general about drivers, but really
directed at audio drivers. I didn't find any resource
about it. The OSS doc seems to be directed to the user
of the API and not for the driver developer.
For example, which function from the file operations
structure have to be implemented and for what purpose
in the case of audio?

-fred