[linux-audio-dev] Using ray tracing cpu for audio synthesis

From: David Cournapeau <cournape@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 11:05:02 EET

Hi there,

    I think I am not the only one here to have heard about so called '3d
ray tracing cpu' (e.g:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/rtongfx/rtongfx.pdf, and a recent
news on /. about some demos at CeBit ). There also were some emails here
about using GPU for sound synthesis recently, mainly about the
shortcomings of those technics (memory bandwidth problems, difference of
rate scales, if I understood corectly).

    Unfortunately, I know nothing about computer graphics, I don't know
exactly what this ray tracing cpu technology is (maybe vaporware ?), but
I wondered if this can be used for audio technology, e.g RT reverbs,
etc... Does anyone have an idea about the possible usage of this kind of
chips for audio processing ?

    Cheers,

    David