Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack and alsa design issue

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 18:59:02 EET

> For context, the app is a softphone.

Kewl.

> All linux softphones
> stink in all ways, plus none was readily adaptable to JACK.
> I, being an audio geek, would like to hook up a call to a
> JACK graph. But most people would like the thing to just
> work without hassle, hence the ALSA option (which would
> probably be default).

If your softphone should be straightforward to the user, it
needed to support different soundsystems, and to try to
automatically select one during start time. Here one idea in
which order this could happen:

* JACK
* Arts
* esound
* ALSA/DMIX
* OSS

If you're an audio geek, you'll most probably make the app
pulled (native JACK) and then wraping it for the other
soundsystems.

 Best regards

    ce