[linux-audio-dev] jack.udp issues

From: Ben Loftis <ben@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 18:34:46 EET

On Monday 21 March 2005 12:06 pm, linux-audio-dev-request@email-addr-hidden
wrote:
> jack.udp for me means many underrun in this configuration:
>
> x86 pc
> jackd -d alsa -d hw:0
> jack.udp recv
>      ^
>      |  (FastEthernet network (100mbps))
> powerpc pc
> jackd -d dummy
> jack.udp -r IP send

In order for this to work, the sending side needs to know "how many" samples
it needs to send. In other words, if the x86 side needs exactly 44,100
samples per second, there is no way in your existing setup to make sure that
the powerpc doesn't send 44,101 or 44,099 samples per second. You'll need to
run an actual alsa client on the sending side, and use wordclock or some
other mechanism to keep the two soundcards in sync. You might be able to
hack something into the receiving side which tells the sender each time it
consumes a buffer, but that's probably not going to get you where you want to
be.

-Ben Loftis