Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack.udp issues

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 04:35:06 EET

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 05:48 +0100, Antonio "Willy" Malara wrote:
> jack.udp recv
> ^
> | (FastEthernet network (100mbps))
> |

> powerpc pc

When you say "FastEthernet network" do you mean a good network or do you
mean cheap switches?

When I was an ISP sysadmin we went through several different ethernet
phone systems, a Nortel something and then the new Cisco stuff. Someone
had the bright idea to save a few bucks by using a Netgear or Linksys
switch for the internal network rather than Cisco Catalysts like we used
for the carrier grade production network.

Terrible idea. We never could get the phones to work right until we got
a real switch.

Of course home users can't afford to just buy a Cisco, but it's still a
problem people should look out for. When in doubt test it with a
crossover cable. For these purposes a crossover cable is not one you
made yourself.

Lee