Re: [linux-audio-dev] Jack-udp

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 11:26:21 EET

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:01:44 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
> >The recent discussion of jack over networks has gotten me wondering a
> >few things.
> >Here is my current fantasy rack setup:
> >1U: UPS
> >1U: KVM
> >2U: RAID
> >2U: Master/DAW
> >1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> >1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> >1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> >1U: Slave Recorder/Node
> >1U: Gigabit ethernet switch (all computers connected through it)
> >
> >Basically, all slaves would boot off of the RAID server (for easier
> >maintenance) into a cut-down Linux kernel, and will boot into
> >text-only mode, starting only the programs absolutely required to run
> >Ecasound. The slave node would begin recording when the master tells
> >it to, and all audio data would be sent to the RAID server. I am
> >thinking that each slave would be able to handle 8 channels of mono
> >input. All nodes would be equipped with the OpenMosix software, so
> >that they can assist the Master when they are not busy.
> Using firewire as a transport layer for audio can solve some problems,
> mainly those of sync and QoS. The scenario I had in mind was something
> like you describe above, but using FW for the audio transport between
> machines.
>
> The idea is still rather vague, but nevertheless...

Well, its only vague in that its not implemented :) From a thoeretical
p.o.v. its well defined, as the slave PC's appear as firewire audio class
i/o devices to the master.

I've not been keeping track of developements on FreeBob very closely, but
when I asked about this someone thought this might not be that hard, I
guess it was :(

- Steve