Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC-Question

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 22:21:39 EEST

On Tuesday 29 Mar 2005 18:38, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>

> >> sigc++
>
> How to implement signal/slot mechanism in simplest terms with C?
> In my opinion, sometimes it is unnecessary to link to a massive
> code libraries if only one feature is needed.
>
> AlsaModularSynth uses Qt's signals and slots in audio processing,

It does? If memory serves me signals and slots are not realtime safe, moreover
they are only allowed to be used from one thread. Hence, if you have a GUI
only that thread can utilize these features.

> and thus requires the whole Qt and mixes GUI toolkit to audio side.
> It could be wise to use sigc++ or minimal S/S code in audio processing
> and Qt only in GUI.
>
> But because Qt comes with every Linux distribution, maybe bad
> dependencies can be allowed.

I don't see why Qt is a bad dependency, on the contrary, having it all in one
place seems like a very good way to cut down on dependencies.
Since it's mostly used as a shared library the impact becomes much smaller as
soon as you use more than one program linked to Qt.

Though, if I'm right about the above, it might be the totally wrong choice.

--
http://spamatica.se/musicsite/