Re: [linux-audio-dev] HELP:porting linux audio driver to RTLinux(rtlinux core driver)

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 23:47:04 EEST

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:39 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> Please, don't think I was being disparaging. I am absolutely
> thrilled with the kernel work that has been going on. This thing
> rocks! The last I heard (from contractors working for us who were doing
> soft real-time on - shudder - Windoze) M$ can only get you to about 30
> milliseconds.

I didn't think so, I was just pointing out that Linux is quite close to
being able to do hard RT OOTB. Many people don't realize it yet...

Anyway 30ms seems excessive... what kind of soft RT app was that? The
ASIO drivers I used to use go down to 2.6 ms, which doesn't work well, I
have to use ~5ms. But that requires tuning the system carefully.

As bad as that sounds now, until recently you could get 30ms dropouts on
a Linux system...

Lee