Re: [linux-audio-dev] Other real-time options

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 05:38:50 EEST

Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

>>This is a really good point. I mean, how many of the people on
>>linux-*user* have written to the kernel people making noise? How many
>>even know how to do that? I know I don't, and I know tons of musicians
>>are just starting to take a serious look at linux in the last year, so
>>the groundswell is starting to happen. ( Thanks to everyone on here whoo
>>hoo! ) Letter writing works. If you guys put a page up or a post on all
>>related forums explaining to us newbies and end users what kind of noise
>>we should make and how to make it politely and intelligently so it adds
>>weight to your request, I suspect a lot of people would be happy to
>>oblige, and I have a hard time believing it wouldn't have an effect. I
>>mean who doesn't want their work to be the world's best platform for
>>something?
>>

>That's something I was thinking about. I think we should write a letter
>to Linus/other developers asking for one of the current solution (I
>would suggest Ingo's) to be merged soon. I'm sure everyone at Xiph
>(including me) would sign it, as well as many here too. That could
>finally give us some weight. Once at least something is merged, it would
>be much easier to put more stuff and convince distros to support it.
>

>Jean-Marc Valin:
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think a part of the conversation I had with Con Kolivas may be of
>>> interest here:
>>>

>>> <jmspeex> I still don't understand why this [unprivileged real-time]
>>> hasn't gone in the kernel a long time ago.
>>>

><---->
>

>>> <con> jmspeex since lkml is so hopeless as a forum for that sort of
>>> thing, feel free to start an online petition to show how many people
>>> there are. 1 of 2 things will happen - 1. you'll have thousands signing
>>> up, or 2. there are less people doing it than you think
>>

>This shouldn't be a problem. There are about 2300 subscribers to the
>linux-audio-user mailing-list:
>http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribe.php
>
>If someone sets up this forum, and more than twice of us sign
>up, that should show those arrogant lklm-people that there are really
>_a lot_ of us, and that we are strong, and very angry. Hah!

yes - why not write up a coherent petition of what "professional" audio
needs from the kernel re: low latency/real-time, including a general
explanation of the importance of low-latency/real-time and the benefits
of having any solution merged into the kernel ... all in a way that the
non-technical LAUers can understand ...

(like me, a *lot* of people on LAU aren't "professional" audio people at
all - this is the *big* underestimation, that "professional audio" - or,
preferably, "making music" - is some obscure, arcane desire ... just
about everyone i know records audio on their computer, but the huge
majority are on windows simply because that is an enviroment that
acknowledges the existence of people other than coders or office drones
... i mean, jesus - of *course* there is the demand for it, it's just
with the sheer hair-lossing stress of setting up linux for audio, the
last thing you want to do is go anywhere near a *kernel mailing list* to
get involved in the scaling of a seemingly insurmountable fortress wall)

sorry for the digression - but if a clear petitition could be written up
and posted on LAU, then i think you would see emerging the demand that
they are demanding :)

man, i'll sign it *five* times :D

shayne