Re: [linux-audio-dev] Creating the conditions for VST-like plugins on Linux.

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 00:21:22 EEST

On Friday 08 Apr 2005 18:57, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> So, I'm sure that many of you have asked yourselves, why cant we have
> a VST-like plugin architecture for Linux?
>
> The following are excuses:

No, they're reasons.

They may not be the principal reason, but they're not excuses. Nobody
claims that GUI/plugin separation or whatever is the principal reason
for designing or using something like DSSI. The principal reason is
that we don't have anything currently that addresses the same
requirements -- to provide something that works for a good number of
users. DSSI is built from necessity, but it's certainly nice to have
something designed for controllability in as many different ways as
possible.

> And I say, ALL THIS IS LIES.

I admire your conviction.

> Every single of such reasons are of no concern to musicans.

You're a developer. Your email is written from a developer's point of
view. The purpose of your email is to propose a significant
development project. Please don't try to claim that you're writing on
behalf of musicians who have no concern for the interests of
developers.

> If I just want to make music, I would not care
> about any of such reasons. I'd just fire up an application and make
> music.

And you wouldn't care about Juan Linietsky's pet development project.

I only wish I had a bit of free development time myself at the moment.
Your Chionic sampler looks like something that can quite easily be made
into a DSSI plugin, and it would be an excellent source of reusable
material for other plugins that want to do similar things. It's a
shame you want to channel your energy away from such a useful project,
at least without even giving it a serious try. That's laziness too,
you know.

Chris