Re: [linux-audio-dev] jack_process and pitch-shifting

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 21:10:45 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:48:32 +0100
>Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>>Doing heavy jobs in the process() callback is fine, as long as the CPU
>>load is deterministic. I this case I think it should be.
>>

>Yep, the CPU load of the sample rate conversion process of libsamplerate
>is pretty close to linearly related to the size of the blocks you are
>converting.

I want to vary the pitch in realtime, and even to totally enable/disable
the pitch-shifting routines when needed, always in realtime, while rolling.

I'm not sure if all that's still linear. The CPU load of my process()
callback may remain constant when the user vary the pitch, but it will
suddenly increase/decrease if the user enables/disables pitch-shifting.

Is this still deterministic/linear ? If not, is spanning a new thread
the only alternative ?

--
  og