Re: [linux-audio-dev] Tracktion, JUCE and Linux

From: Jan Weil <Jan.Weil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 14:41:55 EEST

Hi Julian,

welcome to the LAD world.

Am Mittwoch, den 27.04.2005, 11:33 +0100 schrieb Julian Storer:
> - Yes, it's a dual-license project. So if you want to contribute, you'd
> need to be happy about me taking over the copyright of any stuff you
> send me. Obviously that's your personal decision, and please, I don't
> have time to get drawn into endless boring discussions about the
> morality of dual-licensing! My views on the dual-license is that it
> keeps everything free for you GPL guys, and I get to make a (very small)
> bit of cash in return for my 5 years hard work.
>
> - Ok, I admit it, I'm a control freak about the code in Juce, so you'd
> also have to be willing to let me rip your stuff to shreds and butcher
> it to suit my sensibilities! (In fact, I think I'd probably prefer
> messy, sketchy code that I can tidy up, rather than immaculate code that
> isn't quite the way I like it!).

Just lurk for a while or study the ML archives and you'll find that many
of the LADs are very keen on [Free Software][0] as defined by the FSF.
I'm afraid that even though your project may well be worth it you won't
attract (m)any developers on this list by stating something like "you'd
need to be happy about me taking over the copyright of any stuff you
send me". You know, usually, we GPL guys are not interested in writing
"messy, sketchy code" which has to be tidied up. Instead of that I'd
consider the appreciation of each others work an essential part of OSS
development, where often enough a lot of passion is involved.

Just my thoughts.

[0]: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

--
Jan Weil