Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Please test the RT rlimits patch for audio

From: Jack O'Quin <joq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 21:11:35 EEST

"Shayne O'Connor" <forums@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> yep, this works for me ... here are my PAM settings in limits.conf:

> @audio - rt_priority 100
> @audio - nice 10
> @audio - memlock 250000
>
> i've got a total of 512mb RAM, so i thought half of that would be
> appropriate ... is this setting ok/too high/too low?

Maybe. Depends on what JACK clients you run (they all get mlocked).
Ardour takes up quite a lot of space. If you're willing to grant the
max priority (100), your system is probably a dedicated audio
workstation, so you might just as well make memlock "unlimited".

There is also the -m (--no-mlock) JACK option that disables memory
locking even with the -R (--realtime) option.

--
  joq