Re: [linux-audio-dev] Common synthesizer interface -or- microtonal alternative to MIDI?

From: <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 15:53:38 EEST

> Greetings:
>
> Considering its suitability for microtonality, why not design
> something around Csound ?

The best solution is to remove the mapping from note number to frequency,
and directly send the frequency to the synth. I use OSC messages to do
this (my sequencer uses the scala tuning format).

OSC should replace midi for internal communication - the first OSC
hardware has started to appear already, so maybe for external
communication too, one day :)

It would be interesting to compare the ways that OSC based synths are
accepting note information and try to arrive at some sort of standard.

cheers,

dave