[linux-audio-dev] Re: Please test the RT rlimits patch for audio

From: Paul <set@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 05:52:50 EEST

Jody McIntyre <scjody@email-addr-hidden>, on Sun May 01, 2005 [09:51:19 PM] said:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:13:21AM +1000, Luke Yelavich wrote:
>
> > Some distros, like Slackware do not use pam. How could this patch still
> > be used?
>
> Whatever deals with /etc/limits.conf will need to be patched. I can
> probably come up with a patch if you can point me to the sources.
>
> Jody

        Hi;

        I believe the program you would want to modify would be
the 'login' program. This can be provided by different
packages-- eg. if you use PAM, you will have a pam'ified login.
Slackware seems to use the login program provided by the shadow
package. (Actually, for people that dont care about PAM, a
modified login program might be a simpler solution-- I dont know
what the other ramifications of that might be offhand though;)

http://shadow.pld.org.pl/

        The shadow login would use /etc/limits, which exists on the
slackware box I have access to. (there is a man page for limits(5))

Paul
set@email-addr-hidden

ps. In theory is it possible to have a Gentoo system without PAM, in
which case the shadow packages login would also be used.