Re: Minimum reasonable latency Was: Re: ZynAddSubFX was: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some new soundfiles on-line

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 14:45:30 EEST

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 12:48:34PM +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:

> There is a rule of thumb regarding when you need a conductor, which is
> about when the the band exceeds 8 people. It is not the anarchy that
> naturally evolves, but the distance between the furthermost band members
> causing the problem.

It's rarely done these days, but in the 19th century it was quite normal
for a symphonic orchestra to play without a conductor. That's the origin
of the title 'concert master' for the first violin player.
But of course you don't do Mahler's 8th that way.

> Latency is not the enemy though. Jitter is.

True.

> But I used to play the clavinet, and therefore naturally excused :)

By no means :-) Down with the privileges of clavinet players ! :-)

--
FA