[linux-audio-dev] Beginner question about ring buffer and block processing

From: David Cournapeau <cournape@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 07:07:39 EEST

Hi folks,

    I try to get my head around a basic problem, and I don't manage to
get around it: how to adapt to variable sized blocks of samples given by
a ladspa or jack host/server to an existing, fixed length block
processing algorithm, for example a N points fft. AFAIK, the ring buffer
is the standart tool to solve this problem, but I don't understand how
this helps ?

    I tried to read the source of jamin, which implements this kind of
scheme in io.c, but I couldn't manage to get the whole thing.

    I would be glad to hear any hint about the right way to use
ringbuffer for this task,

    cheers,

    David