Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software controller for homemade edrums

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 14:57:22 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:55:45AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>>While you could record the trigger signal itself, MIDI or an OSC based
>>format would be more efficient for storage and would make tempo changes
>>easy.
>>
>>MIDI would allow to use existing and ready to go apps like Hydrogen
>>or Specimen. There's also Smack (TR style now, physical modeling
>>hand drums in the pipe) or generaly non-sample based percussion patches
>>for Om (or another modular). You don't want to (re)implement such
>>a thing just to get around MIDI (or OSC).
>

> Plus, the latency from a pure software MIDI->MIDI or OSC->OSC connection
> is not even measurable in human terms, your're talking microseconds,
> eqivalent to sitting a few millimeters nearer to your monitors ;)

I recognize using Midi is a good idea, at least for a prototype. But what if, in
the future, I try to further analyse the input signal, so that I can modify the
output not only according to the velocity level, but also according to its
frequency/etc.. ? What if I plug some hardware sliders into the Joystick
connector of my card to apply some effects while performing ?

--
   og