[linux-audio-dev] FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE

From: Chris Camisa <denver@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 01:12:54 EEST

Hello!

     Sorry if I'm starting in the wrong place, but after several months
of thinking and two weeks of working, I have a couple of questions.

 1.) can FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE operate without a sound card such that the
Network Audio Server allows applications running on it to have sound
heard on other speakers on the network?

     a.) I have "device sound" compiled into the custom kernel
     b.) the NASD gives an error about connecting to a block device
when I try to start NASD.

 2.) is arts the way to go with ALSA? When KDE starts on my 2.6 kernel
Gentoo system the sound suddenly get louder, as if a new mixer takes
over and bumps the master volume as KDE 3.3 loads.

 3.) What is the preferred method to have multiple x86 computers
playing the same stream of sound simultaneously? (within a few dozen
milliseconds)

     a.) all the servers have NTP capability and mplayer/xine

 4.) How do I have several x86 FreeBSD/linux machines all synchronize
video also? Is that simply XF86 Forwarding?

Yours Truly,

Christopher