Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Software controller for homemade edrums

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 13:16:50 EEST

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:05:24PM +0200, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:

> And I now think that this trigger-detection engine should indeed output
> midi, so that you can plug into many different devices/applications. Now,
> once a midi signal is issued, and ends up playing a sample or synthetizing
> a sound, nothing forbids to further exploitate the original signal, as in
> the following diagram :
>
> pad signal -----> trigger to midi conversion -----> sampler/expander
> | |
> | |
> +-----------------------> effect filter <--------------+
> |
> +----> final sound

You'll probably need some delay in the pad signal to effect filter
to compensate for the detour via midi, as probably the pad output
will be quite short.

For really accurate results, you should output a 'trigger' signal
at audio rate, together with some other audio rate signals that
represent measured parameters such as velocity, etc.
If you put this into a LADSPA plugin, some synths (AMS for example)
would be able to use this directly, giving mininal latency and
latency jitter.

--
FA