Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] [rant] gcc, you let me down one time too many

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 15:25:36 EEST

[Clemens Ladisch]

> You mean you want to omit \n and the quotes? That was always invalid
> in both C and C++.

Makes me wonder how come it used to compile cleanly then. Now please
don't tell me "it's a gcc extension so it is evil" because __asm__ is
already kissing portability goodbye.

> You could introduce an additional layer of indirection: hold a
> separate C++ object with a pointer from the Python-managed object.

Been there, done that. So far the next best thing, but too substantial
a change for the project in question, and intolerably inconvenient in
any context.

> For completely specialized templates, you can avoid the "template<>"
> stuff like this:
>
> typedef Descriptor<AmpIV> Amp4Descriptor; // no "template" needed here
>
> void Amp4Descriptor::setup() {...}

This is at least more readable than "template <>". It's still plain
stupid to have to write. The version I prefer is already unambiguous,
why should one have to add anything?

I trust you got that right and it's in fact a C++ standard
requirement; in that case I guess I'll have to sadly write the whole
thing off as a case of language lawyer madness.

> "aesthetics" is not a keyword in C++. ;-)

Thought so :) but in the end it is what makes looking at code bearable
for me.

Cheers, Tim