Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Looking for fast integer resampling code

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 13:53:02 EEST

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>>
>> Then, I coded a trivial sample rate conversion routine by myself :
>> - it sounds good, I can't hear any difference with the SRC_LINEAR
>> converter
>
> I think the issue here is the application, and what you mean by good ?
> If the usage is purely sampling rate convertion, as a final stage before
> mastering, then linear interpolation sounds really bad, there is no
> question about it. Now, if it is used inside a processing effect, it may
> be enough (I remember having used a linear interpolation for time
> stretching processing, and the linear interpolation was certainly not
> the weak point in the processing chain).

Jackbeat is useful for my composition needs : for example I may need to use 16
samples on 16 tracks. Linear conversion _really_ is good enough to hear what it
sounds like, and my homemade converter is able to process 16 tracks on my 700Mhz
Duron, performing realtime conversion.

Then I save the whole project (the sequence) and when loading it on some faster
computer, I can switch to libsamplerate's SRC_SINC_FASTEST converter in one
click. I would just have liked to think : ok libsamplerate can either do hi-fi
or run very fast, according to the hardware I'm currently using. But that's not
the case.

--
   og