Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 15:00:05 EEST

At 7:36 -0400 13/6/05, Paul Davis wrote:
>my point is that there is a big difference between saying there should
>be a single API for MIDI on <platform> and a single implementation of
>that API on <platform>. of course, the problem is that we don't have a
>single API, even.

no, right, there are multiple MIDI API's on Linux and I think this is
a good thing. I favour MidiShare, because its older, well-proven,
cross-platform, and well and truly tested by its developers. I
cannot say that for the MIDI parts of ALSA. I never thought that
MIDI should've been treated the way it was in ALSA, either.

>this will probably never be solved. if you look at the windows world,
>there are several MIDI APIs in place, just as there are several audio
>APIs in place. on OS X, there is only one, but CoreMIDI has been the
>weakest received part of the whole CoreAudio-related package as far as I
>can tell, and although it appears capable of a lot, it certainly can't
>do what Rewire and/or JACK-midi can in terms of synchronizing MIDI with
>audio at the sample level.

MidiShare can, though ..

--
;