Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 03:23:58 EEST

>That's not a problem, that's the usual evolution as seen may
>times in the free software world.

free software is one thing, but free software developers making value
off of working installations is another thing.

'free software' doesn't just mean 'not caring how its used'.

>The problem is that an audio developer these days has less
>chances to choose the "right" system. That's why commercial
>software (Realplayer, Skype) often still uses OSS - it's easy
>to do and works on many un*x machines.

what annoys me most is the fact that any linux audio software
developer worth his salt is at least as capable as any boot-cd
vendor. why not just take it all the way to the end, its not like
its not just a sunday afternoon or something ..

>What's missing is a clear guideline for (newbie) programmers
>of audio applications and maybe an example client or library
>which is able to autodetect the audio subsystem.

"authoritarian solution" is an oxymoron in the F/OSS world, imho.
please, prove me wrong.

--
;
Jay Vaughan