Re: [linux-audio-dev] Best-performing Linux-friendly MIDI interfaces?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 05:41:21 EEST

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 02:20 +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> yeah, and this sucks ass. to multitrack, depending on my app, i
> could go one of 3 different ways

How is that any different than on Windows where you have to deal with
ASIO, GSIF, WDM, DirectSound, and whatever the hell else? AFAICT only
OSX has been able to solve this problem. It's certainly no harder to
set up a reliable Linux DAW these days than on Windows. Look how many
Windows audio sites are devoted to bullshit like changing the soundcard
IRQ, fucking with PCI latency settings, and killing "unnecessary
services" like, oh, the network, all of which are completely unnecessary
with a decent OS like Linux?

OSX might have us beat for the forseeable future, but I think we will be
pulling ahead of Windows soon. On Linux for pro audio there's JACK and
the ALSA sequencer and that's it, very soon it will just be JACK and
JACK midi...

BTW, this thread could not have less to do with the subject line.

Lee